FaithFamilyMarriageFinancesSteve's CupCindy's CupHome Ed

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Runnin' Out Of Time

I was told this week that "as soon as we are born, we are dying".  Well, thank you Mr. Optimistic!  But then I thought, I'm running out of time.  Time to share the most important things with the ones I love.  And then I thought, what about those I don't love or don't even know?  They are as important to God as the ones I love and if they are important to God, shouldn't they be important to me?

Let me back up a moment and tell you about my last week with my collegues in California.  When you get to be my age (nope, not saying), your mind still thinks like a 25 year old (OK, so you know that I'm older than 25), but your body says "ARE YOU CRAZY???".  Then just for good measure, when you wake up the next day, you remember THOSE muscles that you forgot you had.  We had 3 activities we participated in for leasure time.  I was real excited about the activities when I read them on the schedule:  pool (not swimming), skeet shooting and baseball batting cages.  The 25 year old sprang to his feet and began to do my best "Rocky Balboa" impersonation...you know, running up the 5 million steps to the tune of "gonna fly now" then dancing at the top like I had just won a gold medal in the olympics.

Well, when the time came to shoot pool, I'll call it billards so there is no confusion, my partner and I lost 2 games and were out.  In skeet shooting, I hit 3 out of 25 targets and in the batting cages I thought I was good with the fast pitch baseball until someone who had never done it before didn't miss a single ball.  Then
came the "days after".  My back hurt, my shoulder was aching and today my knee is reminding me that I'm not 25 anymore.

However, maybe the most important thing I remembered was that even though I didn't win a single event against my collegues, I had something much more important to share with them.  I was a "light in their darkness".  You see, they might be great at billards, skeet shooting or hitting a baseball, but what I could share with them is "eternal".  Trying to re-live the glory days when I could shoot a shotgun with great skill and could even smack a baseball over the fence, were fun, but I was reminded that those days come and go, but our relationship with God will always be with us.

Even if we begin to die as soon as we are born, it's just the opposite with our re-birth in Christ.  The longer we live, the more we should desire to grow in Him.  We may be the "only" light some people will see, so our light must always shine bright. 

Yes, we may be running out of time, but our light can become brighter as we draw closer to God and share with others the hope that is within us, Jesus Christ.

Enjoying my Kup,

Steve

1 comment: