FaithFamilyMarriageFinancesSteve's CupCindy's CupHome Ed

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Adjectives, Nouns, Verbs. OH MY!

Mad Libs was a favorite past-time with friends when I was a kid - writing in adjectives and nouns, adverbs and verbs - and unbeknownst to us we were learning to be creative in the process of being goofy.  So I introduced this to my middle daughter, Marianna, as we strolled through Borders Bookstore yesterday. 

 Marianna is our second daughter who creatively thinks in the abstract, loves to get her hands dirty in science experiments, and is the family's comic relief.  "Randomness" is one of her favorite past-times!  Her least favorite is reading and, especially, writing (meaning: she dislikes, very much, when a bookstore is a destination of choice!).  SOoo, much to her relief, and mom's too, she embraced this fun activity book. 

Our next destination was a frozen yogurt shop while waiting for Millie (our rambunctious, long-haired Dachsund.....and now she's not so long-haired!) to be finished getting groomed.  "Mad Libs" was the entertainment while refreshing our palettes with the yumminess of yogurt.   With pencil in hand, Marianna wrote...yes wrote! (with a smile on her face, mind you) the adverbs, adjectives, nouns, and whatever else the specific page specified needing that me and my other two daughters blurted out in turn.  During this time the questions What's a noun again? or What's an adverb? came up from my youngest, Kathryn, and my oldest, Taylyr, gladly reminded her.  School was in session! 

We all laughed as Marianna read the story with all the different words we put into it, and we all ate our delicious yogurt, and we all learned about the extent of each other's vocabulary...

...and then all of a sudden, in the randomness of the moment the kicker came.

                 "If a verb has an adverb, then what's a jective?

 Yes...from Miss Randomness herself!  So precious and priceless ;)

Enjoying My Kup...
 Cindy
             

5 comments:

  1. I loved (still love) Mad Libs too:) Sounds like a great afternoon! Praying for Steve while he is away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently bought Mad Libs for my 5 year old! He can't do it on his own yet, but I look forward to when he can!! :)

    This is such a cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite thought provoking and as a thought I googled a "jective" to see what I got there were several things actually but this would probably fall better in the class session theme. Check it out. http://bit.ly/fCnvw3 Your daughter thinks like me in this. I love to break down words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Thanks Renia, I'll check it out. Marianna will get a kick out of it ;)

    ReplyDelete