FaithFamilyMarriageFinancesSteve's CupCindy's CupHome Ed

Monday, July 11, 2011

A Little Moving Excitment

Steve and I made it to California, moved in and three quarters unpacked; but all this not without a little excitement along the way.  

There were different levels of excitement, one being that of delight.  We finally got our Honda Pilot back the day after we packed the truck and hauled out of Questa, NM on the last day of June.  Talk about hangin' till the very last minute. However, the timing of it all was in God's hand because He was working on the behind-the-scene-dealings of us only having to pay 10% of the total bill...which was huge!  Yes, you read right, Honda America paid the rest..that's 90% of the bill...praise God!  My car runs like new and I had forgotten how much I really enjoyed driving it. 

On the other hand, the levels of excitement fluctuated drastically when a large shredded Uhaul tire came at me on the highway just 30 minutes from Flagstaff, AZ where Steve and I were to stay the night that evening.  An instant "Lord please keep him safe" blurted out of my mouth as I watched Steve calmly steer the truck to the side of the road.  After phoning (what DID we do without cellphones?) the truck company's customer service we waited about 2 1/2 hours for "Help" to change the tire.  We did this in heat and because of this I was extremely grateful for the newly repaired Pilot that provided AC.  Have I mentioned yet, that we were traveling with one dog and one mama cat and five of her kittens?  The AC was a blessing!  That was day 2 of our travels.

Day 3 we started later in the afternoon as we knew the Mojave Desert was going to be a scorcher to travel through...hence, the later, the better, the cooler...sort of.  Side note:  Steve traveled in the truck with his AC off to save on gasoline! 

So, we pass the AZ/CA board with an "Ok" and a smile from the boarder patrol (I observed another moving truck ahead in another lane and the patrol was confiscating their household plants...I learned to adopt mine out a long time ago) and move forward into the dry wilderness, and not maybe 45 minutes had passed and "BOOM!" another blow-out with more shredded tire coming at me and another prayer sent up for safety.  What?!   Same tire position.  Come to find out the last tire put on was a re-thread.  Ugh!  So Steve called the 800 number again ... and again we waited...and we waited.  The sun was going down behind the mountains, which meant the heat was going away slightly.  Steve was sitting with me in the Pilot with the AC on and we were having a ...date?  watching the sun go down, looking at the stars, playing on our phones updating everyone on the excitement of our day...and we were waiting.  After four and a half hours later three men showed up with a brand spankin' new tire!  And we were off to try and make it all the rest of the way to Carson, CA.  We had, I think, 4 hours left, and thanks to my very first energy drink we made it by 4 a.m. Sunday morning the 3rd.  

Then to top it all off, we start to blow up the air mattress to get at least a couple of hours sleep before reuniting with our girls, (at this point it had been a month since we'd seen them!) and I distinctly remember charging the blower up before we left, the motor dies and the mattress is flat and our bodies just collapse on the hard, carpeted floor as we laugh at all the excitement that had taken place over the past 3 days....zzzzzzz.  Sleep finally came over us.

Now for some more excitement...finding me a job.  Oh joy!

Enjoying My Kup, 
                 Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment