FaithFamilyMarriageFinancesSteve's CupCindy's CupHome Ed

Saturday, June 18, 2011

"Surreal" doesn't describe it...

How do I even put what took place yesterday in words?  It was surreal!  This may be a long one, so stick with me.

My husband and I were blessed with tickets to ride the Rio Grande Rail Road an hour into a beautiful, secluded mountain area in Colorado.  There we debarked and awaited a concert by Phil Stacey. 

If any of you do not know who this is (by the way, I didn't!), he was the finalist in American Idol's 6th season.  (This is the season Jordyn Sparks won...yeah, I had to ask Phil...embarrassing!)  

Meanwhile, as the stage was being prepped for the concert, Steve and I parked our low-rider pink chairs in the front row where there were hay bails to prop our feet, a pre-made packed lunch for the grabs, and a refreshing, ice-cold Arnold Palmer in hand.  It was a starting of a glorious experience to remember and certainly a treat to relax in this rustic environment!  A day of no packing was a bit surreal in itself.  

Before Phil (I feel like I can call him by his first name only...you'll find out why later) made his entrance there was another man to open the concert.  His name was Barry Ward.  

What?!  As recognition of his face came to view I turned to my husband and blurted out,  "Steve! We know this man!" 

During intermission the "meeting this man and his wife at a camp we were once employed with 6 years ago" was confirmed...and the memory of sitting and having a conversation with them, even the subject matter, came to the forefront of my mind.  (Later in the day Steve and I realized we had come full circle in our 8-year-journey by reconnecting with Barry Ward and his wife.)  Small world! 

Did I mention that Barry won Male Vocalist of the Year in the Western Division of the Country Gospel Music Association and was one of the top three finalists for the Western Music Association‘s Male Performer of the Year?!  In 2009, his song Whispers of the West was nominated by the Academy of Western Artists for Song of the YearBarry's talent on his guitar is phenominal and his unique and God-given ability to tell life stories within his music is extraordinary!  If you'd like to learn more about Barry's ministry go to www.barrywardmusic.com.   I'll get back to Barry and Victoria in just a few.
 

I could end this post right here, because just this part had made my day...but I won't, because I barely hit the surface...and besides, you'd probably like to know a little about Phil Stacey, right?
 

Phil Stacey was amazing; his vocals, his talent on the guitar and keyboard was incredible, and a very personable, humorous, honest man was he.  Great testimony as well! But that's for him to tell, so I hope that you are blessed to hear it one day.
 

After a wonderful few hours of being entertained by these gentlemen and just before the train was to be embarked, Steve and I approached Barry and his wife, Victoria, to say our goodbyes.  Barry, then, offered for the two of us to sit with them in their train car (they were VIP's who were privileged to sit in the VIP car...with Phil Stacey who had two armed sheriffs "guarding" the premises. And may I say, these sheriffs were hoots to boot!). However, we entered the train and decided to turn the opposite way of the Very-Important-Person car and sat in the open air car instead...not that we were feeling very-unimportant...that's not the point.  

Awww...the breeze was heavenly and the fresh, organic smells were glorious!

As I gazed out onto the open terrain I wondered to Steve, "Do you think they were serious about us sitting with them or were they only being polite?"
 
"I don't know" he replied with a curious expression.
 

So we stayed put.

Yet, I sensed that if we were supposed to be in THAT car we'd be invited personally...again.  Evidently, I heard correctly for, sure enough, Victoria came walking down the car isle and joined us in the breathtaking views of countrified Colorado.  After a bit of conversation was exchanged about their ministry (and I sensed that she and I had genuinely connected...a real camaraderie, really... I instantly really liked loved this woman.) I shared with her a question I'd been secretly wanting to ask the men (or really anyone who is living this dream of mine)... "how does it feel to have your songs in the living rooms across America and beyond where the hope that you have in you is being shared?"  With a twinkle in her eye, and a slight smile on her lips she offered, "why don't y'all come on back with me" (or something to that nature.)  She invited us to join her in THE car.  Uh huh...we were about to enter another realm! Ha!

This is the end of Part One.  Please come back tomorrow for Part Two.  It gets more surreal-er than this...I promise :)

Enjoying My Kup...
                 Cindy 

No comments:

Post a Comment