FaithFamilyMarriageFinancesSteve's CupCindy's CupHome Ed

Monday, June 13, 2011

"Men On Mondays"

Well...Cindy had to re-train me on how to get on the web site and get started.  I guess that means that it has been too long since I blogged.  I don't know if anyone missed me, but Cindy insisted that I keep going, so if it makes her happy...then guess what?? 


My thoughts are called "Men on Mondays".  Every Monday, I will have a story or two that may or may not keep you looking at our blog every Monday.  I'm sure that there will be many things to discuss, feel free to share your stories. 


Here's to the first installment of "Men On Mondays"!  I say cheers as I sip on my Diet Coke instead of Koffee.


Ode to Walking...


There in the past, when I used to walk fast
While I was still young in my step
Seeing nothing at all, my step would not fall
I raced to the end of my quest.


Walking am I, with eyes to the sky
My lungs need many a breath
Walking a trail, just dragging my tail
I'm really just passing a test.


The difference I see, is I'll never be
A lad with the spring in my step.
The man that I am, with the great "I am"
Is seeing what He wants me to see.



Cindy and I went on a walk yesterday...we don't do that enough!  How many of us live in beautiful places, but get caught up life only to never enjoy the creation that is God.  For those of you that don't live in the most beautiful places...places that are described as "smelling like money", just play along.  If you have a favorite vacation spot, take the time to "vacation" with your family!


I can tell that I'm getting old, because as we started the hike, my body was reminding me..."just pace yourself".  Just pace myself??  Up a slight incline??  I needed to pace myself...just 5 minutes into the walk, I was huffing and puffing and was looking for a spot to rest.  Just in the nick of time, we came upon a river and it was the perfect spot for me to ask Cindy "do you need to rest?"  I needed to rest!  I needed to rest??  It's OK to rest. 


I talked to my dad on the telephone tonight, he is 78 years old and he was trying to install a garbage disposal in his kitchen.  He told me that the only problem he would have in the installation process was holding the disposal up long enough to connect it to the sink.  My dad could fix anything...I could sprint up a mountain trail...my dad is still smart...I 'm just learning to listen.  I'm just learning to rest.

To the "Men On Mondays" I always laugh at how things were easier when I was young.  I could eat a whole pizza, now a container of Tums...I could do a lot of sit-ups, now when I sit, I can't get up...I used to be able to fit on the couch for a nap...now the nap is 3 hours...don't even talk about how my high school letter jacket fits!  Remember the fun...but remember to listen, rest and enjoy your walks.

Enjoying Mondays!!

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment